I. Academic Courses
Do you study environmental policies, international security, or international developments? Then, you need to know about the connection linking security, i.e. insurgencies with environmental policies. You need to know about the role of women as primary users of resources.
The Environmental Challenges in Post- Conflict Countries
This course considers the difficulties of working in the environmental arena in post- conflict countries. The course will address the issues from the point of view of policymakers, and will highlight the need to prioritize among many worthy goals.
Environmental Policies and Insurgency in the Post-Conflict Countries
This course examines the variables that lead to triggering insurgency in post conflict situations with the objective of identifying early signs of insurgency and addressing them. This course analyzes the security policies in post-conflict with the objective of successful transition to stability.
Nation Building Challenges in Post Conflict Countries
This course addresses the challenges facing policymakers in a post-conflict environment. Governments utilize a variety of policy tools to stabilize the country, providing security, and providing the basic services for the local populace.
To schedule a course for your students or trainees please email me.
Does your community suffer from lack of safe drinking water, sanitation services? Do you want to improve services? Do you want to sustain the resources? Is your community safe? Do you want to improve safety and security in your community?
WATEO trainers will happy to work with your community, neighborhood, school, place of work or worship to improve these conditions.
- • Train and prepare women in your community to sustain environmental resources.
- • Build the capacity of women in your community to perform their role as primary users of environmental resources.
- • Equip the women in your community with the skills they need to provide basic environmental services.
Training Security Experts
- Identify early signs of insurgency, gangs or urban unrest.
- Effectively addressing the security threats evolving out of environmental policies and services.
- Reduce human casualties among security forces.
Training International Organizations
- Addressing the environmental challenges within these countries.
- The connections between environmental policies and stability.
Johns Hopkins, Osher Program
I was one of your students at Osher, Shady Grove and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your class. I hope you offer some other classes in the coming years.
I am the Barbara who tells you every week at our Osher Class how much I love the class and how much I have learned from you.
I have to say it is my favorite class this year and I look forward to it each Wednesday morning.
I learned more in 2 hours about Iraq and the war than I have in all the many years of reading magazines and newspapers and some books. A
light bulb went off and all of a sudden I finally "get" it.The issues surrounding the lack of environmental resources and failure to deliver simple everyday public services adequately explain the long
lasting insurgency. But what's great about this explanation is that it helps to explain the insurgencies in surrounding countries, which you pointed out.
George Mason University
Dear Dr. Al-Moumin,
A friend recommended taking your class . I am glad I did! I have learned a lot about the environmental decision-making process and its complications.It was a great experience for me and I will certainly recommend your course to my friends.
Julia N Straker,
I enjoyed my EVPP337 class with Dr. Al-Moumin. It was a pleasure being her student and I thoroughly enjoyed my semester.
Aaron Bravstein,George Mason University
Taking this class has really opened my eyes to see the importance of environmental policies in developing countries. Your teaching with real world examples from your real experience made this class different and each class was a learning experience. Thank you for making this one of the best classes I've had at George Mason University.
Dr. Al-Moumin is incredibly insightful and kind and will go out of her way to help students in every way. Her class aims to help students develop their regard for dire environmental situations plaguing our world. She is patient, witty, and outstandingly brilliant with a main intent to have students evolve in their understanding of the nature and characteristics of environmental conflicts while developing a capacity to manage, resolve or transform environmental dilemmas.
Kathleen M Burr,
I considered you to be one of the most experienced teachers of her field and that truly left a mark on my academically and realistically. Though Environmental Policy was never my forte, you certainly showed me why it matters, and not to overlook such issues. Thank you for everything and I hope to keep in touch.
EnviroVet Summer Institute Illinois University , evaluation for Dr. Mishkat Al Moumin
- She was very interesting, especially in this place in time. Interesting outlook on how to work with people to get things moving in a hostile environment.
- Great to learn about a topic so heavily debated in the media but from a different perspective. A perspective that so many Americans and the media overlook.
- Excellent and impeccable.
- Great. Very eye opening lecture; because we hear a lot about the war on Iraq through the media, but they usually don’t talk about ecological problems.
- Very interesting topic, explained very well, good cover, content, and slides show very well.
- The lecture was relevant, well prepared and presented.
- This lecturer took me by surprise (in a good way). What an intelligent woman who has lived such an amazing life! It was great to hear her very honest viewpoint. Eye-opening, inspiring, thought-provoking, changed the way I see the issues. Great!
- An eye-opening experience, especially the Q&A session! It was extremely interesting to compare to the US and to Mexico. Congratulations Mishkat, you’re an inspiration to women everywhere. Loved the exercise with the piece of paper as water resource, very graphic, really showed how humanity tends to be selfish and really made a point.
- Dr. Al-Moumin was incredible! I could have listened to her speak all day and her personal experiences and stories were so powerful and moving. This presentation was so real and applicable to this program. Her examples and stories were excellent reinforcers of her concepts. It is so important to remember that the people in a community need to have their concerns met before you can expect them to cooperate with your great mission.